Monday, November 22, 2010

I am Thankful. Day 22.

Today's is an easy one, especially after watching this.

I am thankful for the little things.


Life isn't always about the big things. Of course we are grateful for our family on days when we haven't seen in them a while. Or we may be grateful for the sunshine when Spring finally makes its way through Winter and brings the warmth. We may even be ever so grateful for hot water when we do not have it for a day or two (this might have happened to us).
But why do we always wait to be grateful for things that surround us every single day? I am guilty of this, 100%! 
It's reminds me of the phrase, you always want what you can't have.

When my sister moved out of the state, I found myself wanting a better relationship with her... a friendship. Why didn't I spend all those years when we lived at home together wanting this? Now that we have established a great relationship, I don't ever want to take it for granted again! I love being with her when she comes to town and I miss her when she is away. Each night when Tys and I get on our knees and pray, our families are always one of the first things mentioned. And I go through nearly each person (at least each of my sisters and his siblings and parents) in my mind each night. I sincerely am grateful for each one of them and that's something I want to keep in my "Thanksgiving daily".


 
We are so very blessed to live in such a beautiful place! I know whenever It travel somewhere, even if it's to Southern Utah, I marvel at the beautiful things around me. The flowers, the plants, the rocks, the mountains, the greenery, whatever it may be... it's simply beautiful. Take for instance, being in Switzerland. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Green, rolling hills and mountains... there's just this feeling there that makes it a truly beautiful place. Then I think about my home, Utah. Currently, Cache Valley and wow-- we live in a beautiful place, with the most gorgeous sunsets and breathtaking mountains (especially those Wellsville mountains)! That is something that should always be in my "Thanksgiving daily".
 Lucerne, Switzerland
Overlooking Cache Valley

I think about all the important things in my life and all the things that mean the most to me. Right now, this very instant, I think of my husband. These things didn't come to me through miraculous things or by a big huge gift. They are given me during the times when I may need them most, but through the simplest ways. For Tyson, it was a dance party on a cold February night at a time in my life when I needed him more than I thought I did. 


That's just how our Heavenly Father works, in mysterious ways and through tender mercies. I'm so so SO grateful for the tender mercies he gives me and for the small things I often take for granted. I don't want to do that. I don't want to be so busy going day to day that I forget to stop and look around and just be grateful. It's a beautiful world with so many good things and yes-- they need that daily recognition. We need to give our "Thanksgiving daily"... no matter what. 
New goal? Check.

1 comment:

Madeline said...

I really love this one a lot, Katie! You are so right :)